Monday, February 18, 2013

where's jamey?


yesterday, i took a long nap. and when i awoke, i had been dreaming. this dream was also a movie i was watching. (this is very common in my dreams… does anyone else have cinematic dreams?). it was about a little family. the scenes i remember are: the dad is taking the two little boys, the older maybe four years old, the younger a one-year-old in a rear-facing carseat, on a short roadtrip. they are going to meet up with mommy. they make a pit stop and are running wild in a beautiful golden light-filled field, playing together, letting the dogs stretch their legs. then, they pack up and head off for the last leg of their trip. the camera pans out and then zooms in on the empty 4-year-old’s carseat. and the little gray curly-haired dog runs off into the field toward the boy, who got left behind, out on his own adventure.

Where’s Jamey? is the film’s name in the dream (you may have noticed this is my name, at least it would be, had I been consulted on its spelling); and, still asleep, i think how unlikely the leaving behind was, and why would the camera zoom in on the empty carseat again when they got to their destination? The audience already knows the boy is missing – it should be focused on the adults’ faces as they see it…

i’m sure the rest of the movie would be parents and baby rushing back to where they last saw him, and him long gone, trekking, finding his way home, dog at his side… until credits roll. (really. sometimes my movie-dreams end with rolling credits. strange, but true.) 

so i awaken and tell my love this dream, and he asks: “are you feeling abandoned by someone?” sort of an obvious interpretation of this dream, but a nonetheless insightful question.

and yes.

well, i think it’s more a fear of being abandoned. i have these deep questionings and desires swirling around in my life and spirit, and i’m afraid if i voice them, i will be left alone. the real me, at least, if i were to be discovered.

maybe my thoughts will be discussed with affirmation or critique.

maybe my actions will be criticized or applauded.

but what about me, the person…will i be loved?

when i say i need to take a break, how will people respond?

and DOES IT EVEN MATTER?? 

it’s when i realize that it doesn’t that i feel most free to say what the Spirit is moving in my life. and i say THAT, and feel like a poser, as if i’ve spent hours on end in prayer and meditation and had some special revelatory word from the Lord. but this life gets lived in its moments, and my spirit intertwines with The Spirit moment-by-moment as i turn my face to the light. so. i am not a poser. i do not claim special revelation from God (this time). but this seems to be the journey i’m on, and he has been asking me to take courage and jump to the next step. i’ve never really taken many “leaps of faith”… i want it to all get figured out beforehand.

before I tell anyone.

before I tell you.

before you tell me exactly what you think. 

I’m thinking about taking a break from going to church. 

there – I said it.



in unrelated news: this morning when I woke, I was dreaming of a writing career. 

5 comments:

  1. Nothing shocking there; you're considering taking a sabbatical.

    With love and prayer for the Spirit's leading...

    Sabbatical or a sabbatical (from Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos, from Hebrew shabbat, i.e., Sabbath, literally a "ceasing") is a rest from work, or a hiatus, often lasting from two months to a year. The concept of sabbatical has a source in shmita, described several places in the Bible (Leviticus 25, for example, where there is a commandment to desist from working the fields in the seventh year). In the strict sense, therefore, sabbatical lasts a year.

    The sabbath year (shmita Hebrew: שמיטה‎, literally "release") also called the sabbatical year or sheviit (Hebrew: שביעית‎, literally "seventh") is the seventh year of the seven-year agricultural cycle mandated by the Torah for the Land of Israel, and still observed in contemporary Judaism.

    During shmita, the land is left to lie fallow and all agricultural activity, including plowing, planting, pruning and harvesting, is forbidden byhalakha (Jewish law). Other cultivation techniques (such as watering, fertilizing, weeding, spraying, trimming and mowing) may be performed as a preventative measure only, not to improve the growth of trees or plants. Additionally, any fruits which grow of their own accord are deemed hefker (ownerless) and may be picked by anyone. A variety of laws also apply to the sale, consumption and disposal of shmita produce. All debts, except those of foreigners, were to be remitted.

    Chapter 25 of the Book of Leviticus promises bountiful harvests to those who observe the shmita, and describes its observance as a test of religious faith. There is little notice of the observance of this year in Biblical history and it appears to have been much neglected

    Lev 25: 20-22
    20 But you might ask, ‘What will we eat during the seventh year, since we are not allowed to plant or harvest crops that year?’ 21 Be assured that I will send my blessing for you in the sixth year, so the land will produce a crop large enough for three years.22 When you plant your fields in the eighth year, you will still be eating from the large crop of the sixth year. In fact, you will still be eating from that large crop when the new crop is harvested in the ninth year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jan. thank you for saying this. You are a gift to me this morning and always.

      Delete
  2. Tried to make a comment at 5:30 this morning but it wasn't working on my phone. Ugh! Would love to get together some time and hear what you've been feeling, if you'd like to share. Would evenings ever work for you? Love you, friend! (And the writers of your movie must have used our Jamey's name. Thankfully, never forget and left him somewhere!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! (Would be jumping up and down if there wasn't a sleepyhead in the next room) Not because I think church is bad, but because I think the obligation (the "shouldness") of church is bad. I know it messes with me big time.

    May you find the delight of fellowship, wherever it may lie in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cinematic dreams too, credits rolling and all, so I like your dream and I think you told it well.

    The truth is that I never left Church, but I've moved a lot and left a lot of churches behind. The clean break made it a little easier, but I'm not necessarily proud of what I've done. Still processing it all.

    Looking forward to your friendship along the journey.

    ReplyDelete